Saturday 11 June 2011

Wednesday June 8th

Today after breakfast I went right over to the orphanage and straight up the rickety spiral stairs to the office/nursery that has become my home.  The babies are on a schedule and I have to be on time.  Ms. Ester greeted me with a warm hug and a big smile.  It is obvious that she is grateful for my help.  She is a very harsh and strict woman, but I found out that before she arrived seven months ago, the orphanage had such a bad reputation.  Especially the girls.  Ms. Ester not runs it like a military school.  Everyone must be in uniform, and must be inspected in the morning.  They gather and pray and sing before school, and every time they see Ms. Ester they must say, "Madam, Jesus" to which she replies, "The Good Shepherd."


She is really a funny woman with a big heart, and with all her strict rules she has drastically changed the place.


So today was business as usual...except that Phillip, (who is lovingly referred to as Agogo, after a famous Ghanaian footballer with a similar shaped head) was being potty trained.  It was so funny to see the little guy on a bucket in the middle of the floor, while I scooted around him to complete my office work. 




It rained for the first time today.  It came down heavy, in buckets and didn't last very long.  The thunder and lightning lingered for hours though.  I left work at 3, and was reading in my room when I heard the children singing "Father Abraham" I learned that at Pilgrim Lodge when I was 8.  I wandered over to see what was happening, and was invited to join in their church service.  They have church every Sunday, Wednesday, and Friday.  This is such a religious place.  All of Ghana is deeply connected to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment