Sunday 19 June 2011

Saturday June 18

The day started off with rain, but luckily it stopped in time for our 7am hike.  It is about 2-3 hours to the upper falls.  We had a guide and the walk started off slowly and easy.  I was able to enjoy the beautiful variety of butterflies and dragonflies.  The path wove through the forest and across a brook.  There were little bridges across the water.  It seemed easy enough until we came to a small fork and Rudy told me, "now we climb." The guide handed me a walking stick and we started hiking straight up.  The small path was just wide enough to go single file.  We got 1/4 of the way and I had to stop.  I didn't know if I'd be able to do it.  It was like climbing hundreds of slippery stairs. 

We finally made it to the top.  I could see the town down in the valley. 

Then we had to climb down a ways to where the waterfall was.  The waterfall is breathtaking.  I wanted to stay there all day (partly because I was terrified of going down the way we had come up!)

We finally started the journey back down.  It was slippery and gravity wanted me off my feet, but we made it to flat land.  We went a little further into the forest to the lower falls.  This is far more public, but interesting because the cliffs beside the falls are home to thousands of bats! 
Look closely on the left. All the dots are bats!
We rested and returned to the guest house.  The walk back somehow seeming much longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment