Saturday 11 June 2011

Tuesday June 7th

Today my role at Good Shepherd was decided.  I was initially going to teach math and English but there are currently enough teachers.  Also it is a known fact that students do not take white teachers seriously because white teachers don't cane. I will substitute if I am needed, but my assignment is with Ms. Ester.  She decided that I will be her personal helper while I am here.  This may seem like a lame assignment, but let me explain. 

Ms. Ester is a woman of outrageous strength.  She runs the orphanage, she is the headmistress, secretary, diciplinarian, and school nurse, and the primary caregiver of three infants.  On top of that she is in the middle of working with the Missionaries who founded the school on the development of a new structure.  The groundbreaking ceremony is Friday and Ms. Ester is in constant comtact with the missionaries from Alabama, (who are here this week, making her very nervous) the architects, electricians, and engineers.  Ms. Ester has recruited me to take on some of her tasks until the chaos dies down.  I am taking on some of her office tasks, like attendence, and making sure children have their medications.  I am also caring for the three babies.  Imagine if you can your office, where you manage 30 orphans full time, another 20 students from town during school hours, and your office is also a nursery home to three willful babies!

At the end of the day I am exhausted.  I don't know how Ms. Ester does it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment