Monday 6 June 2011

I woke up this morning in my sleepsack (thanks Mom) to the sound of roosters.
I went downstairs and enjoyed hot chocolate, in 90 degree heat, and Ghanaian bread, which has the texture of a cotton ball.  
I gave my gifts, then went outside, to the courtyard and waited for Charles.

These are the children in my house dressed for school.
Stacy, Junior, M-Girl and Gifty.
This is the well that is seriously just a hole in the ground.
Charles took me to the school/orphanage.  It is about 6 feet from my host house.   We walked through the school area, which is a cement foundation with a roof over it.  Then we walked to the extra structure which serves as the cafeteria/multipurpose area.  I met Ms. Ester, the leader of the orphanage and the woman who is in charge of me.  I also met Rudy, the friend of Charles who would show me around after work.  

I went with Ms. Ester to the baby room where there are three small babies, the youngest in the orphanage.  The other children range from 8-18.  Since the other were in school, and it has not been decided if I will be teaching or not, I spent the day with the little ones. 

This is Phillip.  He was found on stuffed into a plastic bag on the side of the road where he was likely to be hit by a car.  He's 1 year old, and he is so funny.  He loves to laugh and smile. 

This is Princess.  She was found in a cardboard box left to bake on a rooftop.  She is 10 months old, and she is dramatic!! 

This is Prince.  He was dressed nicely, and abandoned at the beach.  HE seems sweet, but he's secretly a troublemaker.

I had a good time playing with the kids, but there wasn't a lot for me to do.  I was happy when Ms. Ester sent me home at 2 to meet up with Rudy.

Rudy took me around so I would know how to get places.  He showed me the bank where I can use the ATM.  (I doubt I'll need to, because I got my refund from Simon today.) We also went and got a prepaid phone for me. He then took me to the market, where I can buy fresh fruits.  Mangoes are in season!  I haven't tried one yet, but I had a pineapple.  Rudy then took me to a hotel owned by his friends.  It has a pool that I can swim in. They were all very nice and wanted to hear all about me.  I was happy to meet more people closer to my age.  Rudy and I then took a cab to the beach.  I got to look at the Atlantic Ocean from the other side! 


Rudy assures me there are no Sharks.  He says there has never been an attack...who knows, maybe before I leave I'll go in...maybe.

We walked back.  I am getting used to the calls of "Yuvoo"- white girl. Aside from the blistering heat, the limited water and the constant sand in my shoes and eyes, Aflao is a nice place.  It's pretty at the beach, and the palm trees are enormous.  The people are friendly, and the laid back attitude is interesting.  It obviously drives a scurrying super-efficient person like me crazy, but it works here.  I'm adjusting.  (I wonder what my blood pressure would be here Mom!)

I went straight to my room after Rudy dropped me off.  I am slightly sun burned, and the dusty air has given me a big head.  (Grammie Dean would understand.)  

I am much more at ease today than I was yesterday.  Being active and going places instead of looking at then from a bus window has made me feel more comfortable.  I am excited to see what else is in store for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment