Sunday 19 June 2011

Sunday June 12

Today I went to church with my neighbor Paul.  I went downstairs at 6:30 and  Paul was still sleeping.  I was overjoyed! I was ready to go back to bed, but Paul emerged and rushed to get ready.  He pulled himself together and explained that he'd been in the hospial with his pastor whose wifehad a baby.  I listened as we left.  We took motorbikes because we were late, which was an interesting experience since I was wearing a skirt...We arrived to a structure that was open with a roof. 

We were late and I was ushered to a seat by a woman.  Paul went over to the music section.  He failed to mention that he was not going to be with me!  I will quickly summarize 3 hours of Evangelical ( yes the same as Jesus Camp) service.
-Songs as long as the spirit moved the singers to sing them
-3 ministers with three seperate messages, all yelled in a voice similar to Grover from sesame street and translated into Ewe. 
-Welcoming the newcomers (me) to be prayed over then wisked away to a seperate building.
When I was taken away with the others another preacher told us that we should join the church.  I told them I was visiting and had a church in the US and asked if I could leave. The minister told me that I could wait.  As soon as I had the chance I left. 

I was solicited for funds, asked to bring people to the US and host people in the church.  I felt like everyone wanted something from me.  I just wanted to leave.  Paul however was enjoing showing me off.  He asked me to go to the hospital to take pictures of the baby of the minister who tried to convert me...It was pouring and I started walking home. 

Paul finally got the picture and got us a cab home.

Tonight I met up with Rudy and we went to the beach.  There's always a beach party on Sundays.  We had a good time but went home early.  I'd had a long day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment