Saturday 11 June 2011

Friday June 10th

I had to get up early today to get the babies extra spiffy for the groundbreaking ceremony.  I also had to look nice.  I didn't know this was such a grand affair, but apparently there will be VIPs.


This is the home now.  (The view from my balcony) The building to the front left with the tin roof is the school.  The flat-top building is the church/multipurpose area and the pink building is the dormitory/office.  The room on the far right on the top floor is the nursery/office.
The new site is so important, because currently the orphanage buts up against a cemetery and dump that have melded together into a giant mess.  I feel badly for those buried in the cemetery, that is not where I would want my final resting place to be.  It's inhabited by wild pigs...

We arrived at the ceremony and took our seats.  It was an outdoor event with tents set up.  All facing the main tent where the most important people, the missionaries, the design team, the chairman of the board, and eventually the region's King!

Quite a few people told me to go sit with "my people" the white people in the head tent, but I assured them that I was in the right spot.  There was music and dancing, as this was a celebration, and as always there was prayer and praise to God. 

A traditional dance...I'm learning it!


The lady in white is Ms. Ester!

The ceremony was 4-5 hours long.  Honestly I zoned out for most of it, just playing with Princess who I was holding in my lap.  The king got up to speak and recognize everyone who was working so hard to better his region.  He gave each of the missionaries and team members a token of his appreciation.  I thought it was so cool.  He was in traditional dress and decked out in gold.  He then called me up.  I was confused, and some lady behind me took Princess and shoved me forward.  He asked me who I was and what I was doing in Ghana if I wasn't with the group behind him.  I told him my name and that I am simply here volunteering for a little while.  He then presented me with a ceramic beaded bracelet (that Rudy tells me is antique and very very expensive) The King told me that anyone willing to travel across the ocean alone to help people she doesn't know is deserving of recognition.  He also told me I must stop by and visit his palace before I leave. 

We got back at 6pm, a full 12 hours after I started my day.  I am horribly sunburned, but it was a day I will remember for the rest of my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment