Saturday 11 June 2011

Thursday June 9th

Today I almost overslept.  It was miserably rainy, and most people just don't go to work in the rain.  I would have liked to stay in bed all day, but the Good Shepherd is home to these children.  It never closes, and neither does the school.  The teachers however decide not to come in the rain, so I had to substitute.  I took care of the babies morning routine first then went down to entertain the Level 3 (ages 10-12) students.  That's what the other teachers told me to do.."just entertain them."  We examined the US with a crude map I'd drawn, and I taught then some silly camp songs.  We also did constructive things like math,  The kids are all at different skill levels.  Some can barely add without counting on their fingers, while others begged me to give them complicated long division and multiplication problems.  The other teachers commented on my teaching methods and were impressed that I had actually kept the students' attention. 


These aren't the kids I taught, they're in kindergarten.  I just think they're precious!


Another interesting thing that happened today! There were people fixing the rickety rusted spiral stairs that lead to the upper floor of the orphanage (where the office/nursery is).  They had a crazy looking generator powering this welding tool, and the cord, exposed wire held together mostly with tape, was sitting right in a puddle!  It's a miracle no one was hurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment